Updated: February 14, 2020 7:51:43 am
Delhi Police chargesheet
‘This brings out criminal intentions of accused to fix’
THE BACKGROUND: It started in 2000 with Delhi Police investigating an extortion grievance by an Old Delhi businessman, who was requested to cough up Rs 5 crore by Dubai-based Shaheen Haitheley, a suspected Chhota Shakeel and D-Company operative. A background test of these in contact with Haitheley threw up a Bollywood title – Krishan Kumar, a failed actor and brother of late T-Series founder Gulshan Kumar. Delhi Police put Kumar’s telephone on surveillance however they couldn’t make any headway. Later was determined to intently observe Kumar’s associates, Rajesh Kalra, Sunil Dara, and Man Mohan Khattar.
On February 20, 2000, the Delhi Police bought fortunate. Kumar handed over his ‘compromised’ telephone to a London-based pal, Sanjeev Chawla, who had simply landed in Mumbai and checked into Hotel Taj Mahal, that was additionally the bottom of the South African cricket group. Chawla was now being snooped on by proxy.
From the chargesheet:
* Chawla stayed in the identical resort as South Africa group … Chawal offered telephone to accused Hansie Cronje, which was bought by accused Rajesh Kalra. The name particulars of the accused individuals revealed that the frequency of calling one another turned very excessive on the time of the matches.
* While Sanjeev Chawla was in contact with Hansie Cronje, frequency of calls between him (Sanjeev Chawla) and his accomplishes Kishan Kumar, Rajesh Kalra, Sunil Dara@Bitto, elevated manifold throughout the matches. This brings out the prison intentions of the accused individuals to repair matches in conspiracy with one another.
* Accused Krishan Kumar is talking to Rajesh Kalra, saying that Sanjeev had requested for a telephone with roaming facility, which ought to even work in Sharjah. This is to be seen within the context of the earlier dialog between Sanjeev and Hansie Cronje, whereby Sanjeev had knowledgeable that the telephone was not working and had requested for a roaming SIM card.
* In all the dialog between Rajesh Kalra and Sanjeev Chawla, they mentioned the earlier matches performed between India and South Africa and the perfomance of South African gamers.
* Investigations present that the principle accused Sanjeev Chawla remained in fixed contact with the South African captain Hansie Cronje at many of the venues of the matches.
* Rajesh Kalra and Krishan Kumar are speaking concerning the assembly of Sanjeev Chawla with Hansie Cronje and likewise concerning the departure of Sanjeev Chawla to London.
* From different conversations between Sanjeev, Rajesh and different playing racketeers it’s clear that Sanjeev Chawla, Rajesh Kumar together with different satta operators in Delhi and Mumbai had been engaged in fixing up the cricket matches previous to this sport. In this fashion Sanjeev has performed a fraud on the general public at giant by deceiving them.
The Chawla-Cronje tapes
Chawla: Alright, and who all are with you…Hansie: Will finalise this night, don’t fear
During the 2000 South Africa tour to India, Chawla and Cronje had a number of telephone conversations, principally about fixing video games. Few transcripts of these calls from the Delhi Police’s chargesheet.
‘I can deposit money in your account’
Context: Ahead of the second ODI in Jamshedpur on 12 March, Chawla telephoned Cronje wanting extra than simply data – he needed an precise influencing of the end result.
Hansie: No no unimaginable, unimaginable
Hansie: No no they had been saying that they had been already doing Cochin, the opposite guys are already offended with me as a result of I’ve not acquired their cash you realize.
Chawla: No however I advised you however I’ve already given him altogether 60
Chawla: And tomorrow I can deposit the cash in your account. It is just not an issue due to the time distinction. Tomorrow itself I can deposit the cash.
‘Who is taking part in? Gibbs?
Context: Just earlier than the fourth ODI in Vadodara on March 17th, they chat once more.
Hansie: I had a take a look at the pitch as we speak, it could flip huge.
Chawla: Is Strydom taking part in?
Hansie: Yes, he’s taking part in, yeah
Hansie: Boje is taking part in
Chawla: Yeah, Boje is taking part in… and who is taking part in? Gibbs?
Hansie: Gibbs and myself
Chawla: Ya what about anyone else:?
Hansie: I received’t be capable of get extra.
Chawla: Okay simply inform me. But you could have solely 4 with you and never anyone else?
Chawla: Klusener and nobody?
Hansie: No. No. unimaginable, unimaginable.
‘If it is 249 it is off?’
Context: Before the ultimate sport in Nagpur on March 19th, Cronje units particulars of the repair and particulars.
Hansie: I’ll give them some runs. It is a small floor and it’s a fast outfield so they need to get 280/290.
Chawla: What is the minimal that they need to rating
Chawla: Minimum is 250?
Chawla: If it’s 249 it’s off?
Chawla: Okay, so the deal stands on 250 or whether it is 249 it’s off?
Chawla: All proper. And who all are with you?
Hansie: I’ll finalise that this night, you see. You should not have to fret.
Hansie: I’d communicate to the fellows tonight and… however you should not have to fret.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and keep up to date with the most recent headlines